DR. DANIELLE MARTIN see the challenges in our health care system every day. As a family doctor and a hospital vice president, she observes how those deficiencies adversely affect patients. And as a health policy expert, she knows how to close those gaps. A passionate believer in the value of fairness that underpins the Canadian health care system, Dr. Martin is on a mission to improve medicare. In Better Now, she shows how bold fixes are both achievable and affordable. Her patients’ stories and her own family’s experiences illustrate the evidence she presents about what works best to improve health care for all.
Better Now outlines “Six Big Ideas” to bolster Canada’s health care system. Each one is centred on a typical Canadian patient, making it clear how close to home these issues strike.
· Ensure every Canadian has regular access to a family doctor or other primary care provider
· Bring prescription drugs under medicare
· Reduce unnecessary tests and interventions
· Reorganize health care delivery to reduce wait times and improve quality
· Implement a basic income guarantee to alleviate poverty, which is a major threat to health
· Scale up successful local innovations to a national level
Passionate, accessible, and authoritative, Dr. Martin is a fervent supporter of the best of medicare and a persuasive critic of what needs fixing.